The history of forestry education in H.P. started in 1949, when “Lower Division Subordinate Training School was opened at Junga to manage the vast forest resources of the state scientifically. This school was shifted to Solan in 1952 and then to Mashobra in 1956. At the same time, a soil conservation school was opened at Dalhousie in 1956-57. In 1964 both the schools were combined together and shifted to Solan. The school was finally shifted to Chail on 15th April, 1968 and has been functioning since then.
It was realized that even by using the capacity of FTS, Chail to its maximum, it would not be possible to clear the backlog of untrained Forest Guards and Deputy Rangers in the FD as nearly one third of them were untrained at that time. Sundernagar with its pleasant climate, central location in the State and also due to availability of infrastructure developed during Social Forestry Project, got obvious preference for opening one of the two new forestry training schools proposed in that year. The other training school was opened at Kuther in Kangra Distt, which also remained under administrative control of training division Sundernagar till June 1994. Initially, the Centre conducted regular five and half month basic in service training courses for Forest Guards and short term refresher courses on participatory forestry and technical Forestry for the Front Line Staff and Community members. Both the Centres at Sundernagar and Chail were renamed as Forest Training Institute in 2008. FTI Sundernagar was empanelled by Govt. of India for imparting Range Forest Officers Training in 2012 and this institute has been renamed as FTI & Rangers’ College, Sundernagar.